Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sept. 6, 2015 I Defy the Armies of Israel this Day

Hello Everyone!
Sorry for the intimidating subject line. That is a quote from Goliath
in 1 Samuel 17:10. I really like the Liken the Scriptures Series so
always imagine that line in the voice of Thurl Bailey. It is in
reference something that I thought of a few months ago but remember
sometimes.

Some days when  we bike it is awful weather. Sometimes the wind is
blowing so strong and seems to be competing with us, or trying oppose,
interfere with or even to, 'Defy' our work. I remember the first time
it came to me. We were pushing as hard as we could on our bikes to get
to our last lesson of the day. It was almost night and getting dark
fast. The wind was roaring in our ears and Goliath seemed to be saying
'I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may
fight together.' I thought of that and remembered David of Old's
fearless response and over all triumph.
 'David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of
the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of
the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the
Lord be with thee... Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to
me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to
thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of
Israel, whom thou hast defied. This day will the Lord deliver thee
into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee;
and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day
unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that
all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.' (1 Samuel 17:
37, 45-46)

I laughed at the wind and biked even harder and encouraged my
companion, then Elder Smith, to do the same. This week we were in
almost exactly the same place, and the same time, with the same
rushing wind. I remembered that day and it seemed to be a them of the
week and or some of my missionary experiences. Sometimes we try very
hard to achieve some objective or goal and there is an opposing Force
trying just as hard to oppose us. The thing to remember and take heart
in is that when we are 'on the Lord's Errand, we are entitled to his
help' (paraphrased quote of President Monson).

This week our investigator ____ was baptized. She has been working
with Missionaries since before my time. When I first got here she was
ready to be baptized. She had finished her lessons, she had a
testimony, and she passed the Baptismal Interview. However, when her
date came up she got so scared. She was close to having a nervous
break down. She didn't show up to her baptism. The next week we went
at our time to visit her, but she was drunk. She started lying to us a
lot and for the first time since she started lessons, she started
missing church. We were super sad about it, but we dropped her.
'Goliath' was working hard in her life and it seemed like he would
win. After a month in a half or so we decided to visit her again. I
was afraid as she started to progress again that she would again come
to the time where she should be baptized. She had lied to us enough
that I didn't know if I could baptize her in good conscience. However
on the day of her 2nd Baptismal Interview I was filled with peace. We
walked away and Elder Va'ai said she passed. I was content. I calmly
felt that now, finally she was ready. She had that struggle, but she
came away stronger for it.

Saturday she was baptized and it continued to be a struggle. Her ride
to the baptismal site forgot to pick her up. By the time she arrived
the tide was almost all the way out leaving the ocean to low to
baptize her. We made things work, and now she is a full member of The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
David asked, 'for who is this, that he should defy the armies of the
living God?' (1 Samuel 17:26). When the Lord is on your side, and you
are doing his work, that  'uncircumcised Philistine' is no one to
worry about. All will work out in it's proper way in the end.
I love you all,
Elder Morley

No comments:

Post a Comment